Learn some of the positive developments around end-of-life issues that took place in 2022.
This is the last episode of 2022 and I’m sharing some of the best “good news” stories I’ve seen this year about progress we’ve made around care at the end of life. Every month I curate end-of-life news stories for my supporters on Patreon and I’ve made note of some encouraging developments that I present to you today. Watch this on YouTube if you’d like to see slides or enjoy listening to the audio. Meanwhile, farewell to 2022 and best wishes for a Happy New Year!
This episode includes:
- The Lancet Commission on the Value of Death calls for a global paradigm shift on death and dying
- NHPCO works to improve equity in death and dying and decrease racial disparities in care
- Studies document inequities in end-of-life care
- Plan to train community workers to do outreach in underserved areas
- Recognizing the emotional and spiritual aspects of the dying process
- Federal legislation to create a national strategy on grief and to expand advance care planning
- Studies on caregiver stress and model for paying family caregivers
- Best and worst places to die in the US
- Studies on use of psychedelics to decrease anxiety at end of life
- Virtual reality similar to psilocybin in reducing anxiety
- “Death Tech” and media coverage of death both on the rise
- Human composting now legal in 5 states
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Leave me a message by email: email@example.com, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and receive free gifts like the “Mind if we talk about death?” mini-poster or Love Your Life sticker or coffee mug. PLUS get our regular bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, occasional movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
- Buy me a coffee
- Donate on Paypal
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes. Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu and to those who have made a donation through Paypal or bought me a coffee! Your contributions make all the difference.