Learn about a charming book of wisdom shared by a mother to her daughter and how it touches on the universal experience of loss and grief.
In this episode I’m welcoming my daughter Gia Snyder as my co-host. Gia is a spiritual teacher and musician, who is currently in nursing school to become an RN. Our special guests are also a mother and daughter pair: Suzy Hopkins and Hallie Bateman. Suzy is a retired journalist who worked for four Northern California newspapers and founded a community magazine in the Sierra Foothills. Hallie is a writer and illustrator based in Los Angeles whose work has appeared in The New Yorker, The New York Times, Buzzfeed and many others. Together Suzy and Hallie created the book: What to Do When I’m Gone: A Mother’s Wisdom to Her Daughter. The four of us will discuss the book, our mother-daughter relationships, and how we are all dealing with loss and grief as we navigate life and its changes.
Learn more about Gia’s work at: www.divinelygia.com
Learn more about Hallie’s work at: www.halliebateman.com
This episode includes:
- Why Suzy and Hallie decided to write this book
- The anxiety mothers feel over the prospect of leaving children behind when they die
- Anticipatory grief experienced by daughters as their mothers age
- The complicated nature of the mother-daughter relationship
- The importance of wisdom passed on by mothers to their daughters
- How we grieve the loss of our mothers differently than others
- Afterlife communication with our mothers
- How sharing food together helps us heal
- Why recipes are a valuable part of the legacy we leave for family members
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Download What to Do Postcard with questions for parents: Postcard
- Mother-daughter podcast with Gia and Karen: It’s Just Life
- Leave me a message by email: email@example.com, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and receive free gifts like the “Mind if we talk about death?” mini-poster or Love Your Life sticker or coffee mug. PLUS get our regular bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, occasional movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes. Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu and to those who have bought me a coffee and made a donation through Paypal! Your contributions make all the difference.