Learn how and why we need to train many more family and paid caregivers to meet the needs of our aging population, especially during COVID-19.
My guest Roz Jones is the founder of Jacksonville’s Best Caregivers, an organization in Jacksonville FL that provides short and long term caregivers for facilities and families. She is also an author, speaker, crisis counselor and caregiver coach who trains new caregivers and their family members to offer care at home to their ill loved ones. Learn more about her work at her website:
This episode includes:
- Top 6 things brand new caregivers need to learn before they start caring for a loved one
- How caregiving has changed during COVID-19
- What precautions family caregivers should take to keep their loved one safe from COVID-19
- Why setting clear boundaries is one of the most important tips for caregivers to avoid burnout
- How to have productive conversations with ill loved ones about difficult subjects like advance directives, financial issues, loss of independence, end of life
- Why “Loneliness Kills” the elderly, how COVID-19 has made it worse, and how to help
- Self-care tips for caregivers
- How to train with Roz to be a well-informed and effective family caregiver
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Sign up for the 2021 online reading group A Year of Reading Dangerously at this link
- Support you local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Click here to set up a consultation with Roz: bit.ly/speakwithroz
- View Roz’ YouTube channel: Jacksonville’s Best Caregivers
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu, especially my newest supporter Jaime Byrne and renewing supporter Nancy Walker! Your contributions make all the difference!