Learn about the journey of a remarkable young musician through cancer, death and the afterlife and how he continues to inspire people.
My guests Shelley Buck and Kathy Curtis are the co-authors of the book Leave Your Light On, which details the journey of Shelley’s son Ryder through cancer and his subsequent death in a terrible accident. They discuss the process of writing this book as a healing practice for grief, the spiritual transformation experienced by Ryder after his cancer diagnosis, and how people around the world have been inspired by his story both before and after his death. They have turned a tragic story into transcendence that lights the way for all of us who are feeling lost in the darkness right now. Learn more at these websites:
This episode includes:
- How writing can help us heal grief, illness and loss
- Ryder’s story and how music became a medium for him to share his message with the world
- How his cancer journey accelerated Ryder’s spiritual growth
- The challenges of being a mother to a young adult facing cancer and wanting his independence
- How Shelley negotiated being “cancer mom” and also caring for her two younger sons at the same time
- The amazing and synchronistic ways Ryder has communicated since his death and how those experiences have helped his parents with their grief
- Tips for using writing as a healing medium
- Three mantras for navigating these times of darkness from songs Ryder wrote or inspired
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Register for FREE Level 1 Doula Training here
- Register for Certified End-of-Life Doula Training here
- Find Ryder Buck’s music here
- Get the book Leave Your Light On here
- Gia’s song for Ryder: Ryde This Wave – Listen here
- Song from Frozen 2: The Next Right Thing – Listen here
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!