Learn how an EOL doula and funeral director in the UK have teamed up to creatively shift the conversation around death and dying.
My guests Anna Lyons and Louise Winter are the creative team behind the popular Life.Death.Whatever initiative to redesign the dialogue around death and dying. Anna is an end-of-life doula and Louise is a progressive funeral director in the UK. They share how their partnership has allowed them to address the full spectrum of end-of-life issues from terminal diagnosis to the dying process to after-death care and bereavement–all of which are beautifully covered in their newly released book We All Know How This Ends: Lessons About Life and Living from Working with Death and Dying. Learn more at their website:
Follow on Instagram: @lifedeathwhat
This episode includes:
- How Anna and Louise teamed up to create Life.Death.Whatever
- The inspiration behind writing this book
- How they developed two projects for public participation: Five Things and Unsaid
- Why it is important to create links between end-of-life and after-death care
- Sensitive or “taboo” topics covered in the book like sex during illness and at the end of life and what happens to the body during decomposition and cremation
- Why they included COVID in their new book and the importance of acknowledging the pandemic when we talk about end-of-life issues
- How to submit your own writing for Five Things or Unsaid
- The most surprising things they’ve learned about life through working with death
Eat the gelato – especially if it’s salted caramel.”from We All Know How this Ends by Anna Lyons and Louise Winter
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Submit your Five Things or Unsaid writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up for the 2021 online reading group A Year of Reading Dangerously at this link
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!