Learn about shared death experiences and how they can lessen the fear of death and help with grief.
My guest William Peters is the founder of the Shared Crossing Project and is recognized by many as the world’s leading authority on the shared death experience (SDE). He discusses SDEs and what he has learned through his research, including how these experiences benefit those who have them. He is the author of the book At Heaven’s Door: What Shared Journeys to the Afterlife Teach About Dying Well and Living Better, which will be published by Simon & Schuster in early 2022 and we talk about it in this conversation. Learn more about William’s work at his website:
This episode includes:
- What is a shared death experience
- What happens during a shared death experience
- Who is likely to have an SDE
- What is the Spectrum of End-of-Life Experiences
- How do SDEs benefit those who have them
- Are SDEs becoming more accepted in our society
- The ongoing research being conducted by the Shared Crossing Project
- Advice for those who may have experienced an SDE without understanding it
- How to increase the likelihood of having a shared death experience
- How to submit your story to the Shared Crossing Project if you feel you have had an SDE
Links mentioned in this episode:
- A Year of Reading Dangerously – Register here
- Download 2022 Book List on this page: www.eoluniversity.com/yearofreading
- Book: The Art of Dying by Peter and Elizabeth Fenwick
- Research Article: American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes. Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu, especially my new patron Jennifer Blalock! Your contributions make all the difference.