Learn how grief and loss can be the fuel for spiritual growth.
My guest Brian Smith is a certified life coach and grief guide who suffered his own grief experience after the tragic death of his daughter. Through his personal journey of navigating grief he discovered techniques for surviving loss that led to writing the book: Grief 2 Growth: Planted, Not Buried and creating the Grief 2 Growth Podcast. He shares the wisdom he has learned and how dealing with grief can help us grow spiritually as individuals and as a community. Learn more at his website:
This episode includes:
- How Brian overcame his severe fear of death
- The process of grief and how it varies for everyone
- Guilt after the death of loved one
- How Brian works with people who are grieving
- Why some people fear that making progress through grief will dishonor their loved one
- How toxic religious beliefs can harm our experience of grief
- Brian’s perception of the afterlife based on reason and evidence
- What “planted, not buried” means
- How grief work is an essential component for overcoming racism in society
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Workshop with Suzanne O’Brien (starts 9/16): Top Lessons Learned from Those at the End of Life – learn more here
- FREE Q&A with Suzanne O’Brien about end of life doula training (on 9/22) – Register here
- Get Brian’s book here: Grief 2 Growth: Planted, Not Buried
- Brian’s workshop on Overcoming Racism
- Speaking Grief Documentary
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!