Learn about a beautiful new book that explores how death teaches us, through many varied experiences of loss, how to truly live.
My guest Barbara Becker is an interfaith minister and a strategic communications consultant specializing in strengthening the voice of the non-profit community, working with the United Nations, Human Rights First, the Ms. Foundation for Women, and the Grameen Bank of Bangladesh. She is also the author of the book Heartwood: The Art of Living with the End in Mind and she shares the important lessons she has learned from death and loss throughout her life. Learn more about her work at the website:
This episode includes:
- What inspired Barbara to become an interfaith minister and to volunteer in hospice
- How her work in hospice informed her own feelings about death
- What is “heartwood” and why it is a fitting title for the book
- How Barbara turned to her own book for guidance when she faced a health crisis of her own
- The one question we should ask ourselves to live a more purposeful life
- What we can learn about coping with death and grief from religious traditions outside of our own
- Advice to help family caregivers cope with caring for loved ones with Alzheimer’s
- How to cope with the first holiday season while grieving the death of a loved one
Links mentioned in this episode:
- A Year of Reading Dangerously – Register here
- Leave me a message by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and receive free gifts like the “Mind if we talk about death?” mini-poster or Love Your Life sticker or coffee mug. PLUS get our regular bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, occasional movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
- Buy me a coffee
- Donate on Paypal
- If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes. Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu, and to Patricia Rux for donating on Paypal ! Your contributions make all the difference.