Learn the benefits of having a personal practice to increase our death-awareness.
In this encore solo episode I’ll be sharing with you research that shows that the human brain has a primal mechanism to protect us from thinking about and acknowledging our own personal death. Even those of us who study death and teach others how to prepare for the end of life can be in denial about our own mortality. However, living with “death awareness” is the best way to grow spiritually and make the most of every moment of life. My book The Tao of Death (with a companion journal) can be used for daily contemplation and help you become more death aware in your own life. Let’s talk about why we need to maintain our death-awareness and how to do it!
This episode includes:
- A study that shows the defenses against death-awareness that exist in the primitive human brain
- Why personal death-awareness must be intentionally cultivated
- How death-awareness can expand and transform our lives
- Why daily death contemplation is essential to our growth
- Think about the fleeting nature of life
- Acknowledge fears of death and dying
- Recognize barriers to awareness
- Benefits of increased death-awareness:
- Enjoy the present moment
- Find comfort in stillness
- Experience authentic gratitude for life
- Experience awe
- Become less attached to material things
- Be more inclusive and less exclusive
- See everything as sacred
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Get The Tao of Death here: https://amzn.to/3zTKSLC
- Download the Companion Journal here: https://eoluniversity.com/taoofdeath
- Leave me a message by email: email@example.com, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and receive free gifts like the “Mind if we talk about death?” mini-poster or Love Your Life sticker or coffee mug. PLUS get our regular bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, occasional movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes. Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu and to those who have bought me a coffee (thank you Elisa Weger!) and made a donation through Paypal! Your contributions make all the difference.