Learn how changes that began in the last decade foreshadow future growth in the death-positive movement.
In this final solo episode for 2019 I take a look back at some of the significant events of the past decade that helped to move forward the end-of-life movement. Then I share some tips and insights for continuing the momentum for positive change and increased death awareness in 2020. Find out how you can be part of the future as we move toward better care of the dying and the dead in our society.
This episode includes:
- Previous events that helped set the stage for the momentum of the past decade (e.g. Five Wishes, Green Burial Council, Suzanne O’Brien’s community training for doulas)
- Major movements of the past decade that have helped shift the narrative on death and dying:
- National Home Funeral Alliance
- The Conversation Project
- Death Cafe
- Ask a Mortician with Caitlin Doughty
- Confessions of a Funeral Director with Caleb Wilde
- Death Over Dinner
- Atul Gawande’s book Being Mortal
- Recompose (formerly the Urban Death Project)
- Brittany Maynard’s quest for death with dignity
- formation of the EOL Doula Council
- What we have learned from the natural childbirth movement
- Tips for continuing the momentum in 2020:
- Don’t wait – the time is now
- It will take all of us to create change – form coalitions and collaborations
- Create a unified message for the cause
- Education is critical
- Tailor the message for specific groups
- Be in it for the long haul (growth takes time)
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Episode 145 and 146: What the EOL Movement Can Learn from the Natural Childbirth Movement
- Episode 128: Why We Need Death Ed for Everyone Right Now
- Interview with Deanna Cochran on EOL doula movement
- Episode 186: How to Bring Death Doulas to the Hospice Team
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu, especially my newest Patron Delana Schneider, your contributions make all the difference!