Learn about the challenges of coping with loss, grief and uncertainty that accompany a life-limiting illness.
My guest Novelette Munroe is a poet, artist and hospice volunteer who was born with a rare and life-limiting genetic skin condition called Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB.) Despite dealing with ongoing and constant medical issues Novelette manages to volunteer her time in hospice and peer bereavement in her local community. She discusses the challenges of her life journey and how she has managed to cope with multiple losses caused by her illness and the deaths of several friends who also had EB. Learn more about Camp Discovery for kids with skin diseases:
This episode includes:
- What life has been like dealing with EB
- The importance of connecting with others who are experiencing a similar illness and how summer camp changed everything for Novelette
- Why Novelette decided to become a hospice volunteer
- How Novelette developed “grief literacy” with the help of teachers
- Practices that have helped her cope with ongoing illness, uncertainty and grief
- The benefits of mindful self-compassion for grief and illness
- What Novelette wishes medical professionals understood about helping patients with life-limiting illness
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Register for Seriously Let’s Talk
- VIDEO: Kaley Cuoco and Courteney Cox discuss their fundraising support for EB research
- Book: Mindfulness and Grief by Heather Stang
- Get EOLU Podcast Merch here
- Conversations on Death with ChatGPT – Audiobook here; Print Book here
- Leave me a message by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and receive free gifts like the “Mind if we talk about death?” mini-poster or Love Your Life sticker or coffee mug. PLUS get our regular bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, occasional movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
- Buy me a coffee
- Donate on Paypal
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes. Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu, especially my newest donor Marian Head! Your contributions make all the difference.