Learn how Becky created The Death Dialogues Project after a lifetime of experiences with death gradually called her to this work.
My guest Becky Aud-Jennison is the creator and host of The Death Dialogues Project and Podcast, which she created to help bring conversations surrounding death, dying and the aftermath out of the closet. Trained as a nurse and a therapist Becky served as a death doula and home vigilist during the deaths of two of her loved ones, which sparked her passion for facilitating broader conversations. Her love of “verbatim theatre” inspired the original concept for The Death Dialogues Project, which became a podcast over time. She is also the author of two books, forthcoming in 2022: and then the stars spoke: a memoir through the lens of death and Death and Its Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Beautiful Lessons. Learn more at the website:
This episode includes:
- How Becky’s life experiences drew her to work with and talk about death
- How the video and training from Zen and the Art of Dying helped Becky be present for her loved ones’ deaths and have non-traditional funerals for them
- How The Vagina Monologues helped inspire The Death Dialogues Project
- How timing plays a role in the unfolding of our life’s purpose
- Why the medical profession needs to have greater compassion for people who attempt suicide
- Why we need to stop “clenching” against death and grief and be more open
- Grief is different for each person and also for each death that we experience
Death has torn me apart and it’s put me back together again differently.”Becky Aud-Jennison
Links mentioned in this episode:
- My NEW Podcast: What Really Matters: Everyday Spirituality
- Find The Death Dialogues Podcast here
- Follow Becky on Instagram and Facebook: @deathdialoguesproject
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zen and the Art of Dying Video
- Dignity Therapy with Dr. Harvey Max Chochinov
- Sign up for the 2021 online reading group A Year of Reading Dangerously at this link
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!