Today is “Self-Care Monday” and I’ll be enjoying a little time off. In this brief audio recording you will learn about powerful benefits of experiencing gratitude and 3 simple practices to help you bring more gratitude into your life. One thing I’m grateful for is all of the wonderful listeners out there who send me encouraging messages and make contributions to keep this podcast on the air. Thank you for your support! I hope you’ll take time for some self-care too as you work to help others experience a better end of life and prepare for your own future path. See you next week for a regular episode where I’ll share a new interview!
Learn how a gratitude practice can change your brain and your life for the better according to research.
In this solo episode I share some of the impressive research that has been conducted about the benefits of practicing gratitude on a regular basis. As we continue to face uncertainty, loss, grief, polarization, inequality and divisiveness in our society during this pandemic year we can all use a practice to bring positivity and light into our lives. For this month of November I’m challenging myself (and you) to practice gratitude intentionally every day to shift our energy toward goodness and light and help us better negotiate the challenging times ahead of us. I hope you’ll join me! Download and print the handout below:
This episode includes:
- Why we need more gratitude in our lives right now
- The emotional benefits of a gratitude practice according to research by the Greater Good Science Center
- How gratitude improves our physical health and relationships
- Gratitude is “the mother of all virtues” and helps us develop more patience, humility and wisdom
- 4 factors of a gratitude practice
- benefits accrue over time
- benefits last
- grateful thoughts and letters don’t have to be shared with others to have a positive effect
- gratitude rewires the brain
- 4 ways gratitude creates change
- focuses us on the present moment
- overrides negative emotions
- increases resilience
- increases our sense of self-worth
- My 4-week gratitude challenge for November 2020 (download the handout above)
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Get my new book The Journey from Ego to Soul: How to Transform Your Life When Everything Falls Apart
- Sign up here for free workshop on November 12th – Finding GRACE in Times of Suffering
- Greater Good Science Center
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!
Today, as we prepare to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. I share some thoughts about gratitude and how to practice it even when we are suffering. The image of a phoenix rising from the ashes is an especially poignant symbol as thousands of people struggle to recover from devastating fires in California. Sending much love this week to all who are dealing with trauma and tragedy as we sit down to offer thanks for our blessings.
Meet me at EndWell Symposium on December 6, 2018 in San Francisco! Get in touch with me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like to connect during the symposium!
A HUGE THANK YOU to my latest patron on Patreon.com/eolu, Nancy Walker, and to all of my contributors! Your support means everything to me and I am grateful that you are part of my work. Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu.
The discussion includes:
- The benefits of practicing gratitude (read studies at www.gratefulness.org.)
- Improves relationships
- Improves physical health
- Increases wellbeing and happiness
- Increases empathy and compassion
- Decreases aggression
- Improves sleep
- Increases self-esteem
- Increases resilience
- Why the ego struggles with gratitude
- The negativity bias of the brain
- How to intentionally focus on the positive
- Find the hidden gem or miracle within each difficulty
- Why you only need a little gratitude to make a difference
- How to keep a gratitude journal
- The Gratitude Mantra
Wishing you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving with abundant reasons to be grateful this year!
Tune in next week for a brand new episode. If you enjoy this content please share it with others and leave a review on iTunes! (THANK YOU!!)
Until next week ….