Learn about video advance directives and how to get involved in this game-changing innovation for the future of advance care planning.
In this episode I host three guests – Patty Burgess, Dr. Fred Mirarchi, and Sheila Schultz – who have partnered together to create MIDEO University, the only organization to train and certify Advance Care Planning Educators (ACPE’s) in every community. They share how MIDEO’s video advance directives are revolutionizing end-of-life and emergency care in hospitals and how they are training doulas, advance care planners and other healthcare professionals to become paid educators using the MIDEO approach. Learn more at their website:
This episode includes:
- What MIDEO is and why Dr. Mirarchi was inspired to create a video advance directive
- How Patty and Sheila became inspired to partner with Dr. Mirarchi to create an educational program for end-of-life doulas and other healthcare professionals
- How MIDEO works and what differentiates it from other advance directives
- How certification as an ACPE can benefit an end-of-life doula professionally
- Why advance care planning should not focus solely on end-of-life scenarios
- Why video directives are important during this time of the COVID pandemic
- How an ACPE can benefit primary care health providers in their work with patients
- How to participate in MIDEO University and become certified as an ACPE
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Previous interview with Dr. Mirarchi: Episode 249 and EOLU 2017
- Sign up to get more information about MIDEO University (next class starts in mid-February 2021)
- Learn more about MIDEO here
- Sign up for the 2021 online reading group A Year of Reading Dangerously at this link
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!