Learn about the impact of grief on the body and the emotions and steps you can take to heal your grief when you are ready.
In this episode I share an interview with filmmaker and grief counselor Michelle Peticolas who talks about the 3-part film series she created, which is available for use in your community. She also shares her tips on healing from grief and thriving after loss.
Learn more about Michelle’s work here.
A HUGE THANK YOU to my latest contributors on Patreon.com/eolu: Christina Ensminger and Jackie Yeager! I appreciate your generosity and your support so much. If you’d like to join our team go to Patreon.com/eolu to learn how to sign up for as little as $1 per month and receive special bonuses just for patrons!
If you missed last week’s webinar with Suzanne O’Brien on “End-of-Life Doula Training for Caregivers and Volunteers” you can still listen to the replay. Go to www.eoluniversity.com/obrien to register and you’ll receive the link to listen in. It was fantastic and I’m sure you will enjoy it!
Michelle Peticolas begins the interview by telling us about her series of 3 films, The Secrets of Life and Death, which deal with facing death, being present with the dying, and grief. These films are now available for public showing and you can go to her website to learn more: www.secretsoflifeanddeath.com
Next we talk about grief and cover the following topics:
- People in our culture struggle with grief because we have been taught to avoid it
- Grief triggers both an emotional and a physical response and illness can result from grief that is not addressed
- The brain needs time to rewire its circuits after the death of a loved one
- The medical system usually offers drugs for grief symptoms, which don’t help grief actually heal
- Grief support groups may contribute to ongoing trauma for grievers by stimulating the release of stress hormones over and over again as stories are told and retold
- Michelle’s 3 tips for thriving after loss:
- Allow the feelings to arise and learn how to listen to the body
- Savor support and reach out for connection with others; allow your loved one to love you through others
- Shift perception of loss and recognize that love and joy are still present even though the person you’ve loved is not physically present
Tune in next week for another new episode. If you enjoy this content please share with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes.
Until the next time …
Face Your Fear BE Ready Love Your Life