Learn how creativity can help us process our feelings of grief and sadness to become more whole during times of difficulty.
My guest Claudia Coenen is certified in grief counseling and thanatology and is also a musician, dancer, writer, and chef who utilizes creative process and somatic therapy in her work with clients. She is also the author of two books – “Shattered by Grief: Picking up the pieces to become WHOLE again” and “The Creative Toolkit for Working With Grief and Bereavement: A Practitioner’s Guide”. Today Claudia shares how creativity can help all of us deal with our grief and sadness as we cope with the global pandemic and some specific tools for fostering resilience and healing in a time of distress. Learn more about her work at her website:
This episode includes:
- How creativity can help us deal with trauma, loss and grief
- Why everyone is creative – even if they don’t know it
- Creative activities for addressing fear during the pandemic
- Fear and Action Worksheet
- Shield Collage
- Resilience basket
- How various models for grief can help us get in touch with our emotions
- Shattering of the Assumptive World
- Dual Process
- Companioning Model
- A daily ritual for acknowledging the current collective grief of humankind: Lovingkindness Meditation for the Pandemic
May we be at peace.
May we be healthy and strong.
May we be open-hearted.
May we remember we are all connected.”from Lovingkindness Meditation for the Pandemic
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Pre-Order 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying here
- Claudia’s Website: The Karuna Project
- Get Claudia’s Book here: Shattered by Grief: Picking up the pieces to become WHOLE again
- Pre-Order Claudia’s new book here: The Creative Toolkit for Working with Grief and Bereavement
- View Karuna Cards here
- Shattering of the Assumptive World grief model – Ronnie Janoff-Bulman book
- Leave a message for me at SpeakPipe.com/eolu and I’ll include it in a future episode!
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
- SUBSCRIBE to the podcast here
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!