Learn about some helpful resources for talking to children about death and funerals.
In this episode I’ll share some tips from a recent panel discussion I watched about Youth and Funerals. It’s important to teach adults how to talk to children about death and how to invite them to participate in mourning rituals when a loved one dies.
Get the eBook from Funeral Services Foundation here.
Watch the video:
On July 24th I’ll be hosting Suzanne O’Brien RN for a free webinar titled: “End-of-Life Doula Training for Caregivers and Volunteers.” Join us if you’re interested in learning more about the work of end-of-life doulas to see if further training might be of interest to you. You’ll learn valuable skills for caring for those at the end of life no matter what type of work you do. Sign up at the link below:
Thank you to my new supporter on Patreon.com/eolu: Joshua Zoppi! I’m grateful to you and all the other patrons who are helping to keep this podcast and the EOLU Interview Series on the air! If you’d like to join the team (and get special bonuses) go to Patreon.com/eolu to learn more and sign up (for as little as $1 per month!)
There’s no denying the importance of teaching children about death and dying from a young age to help them have a healthy attitude toward a normal part of life. Part of that teaching includes involving them in funerals for loved ones and providing appropriate support and information during the process.
In this episode I’ll talk about:
- My own story of attending a funeral without understanding anything about death or knowing what to expect at a funeral
- How I taught my children about death and funerals
- The panel discussion from the Nation Funeral Directors’ Association Leadership Conference that inspired me to talk about this subject (speakers I watched and quote from include Joe Primo of Good Grief, Vicky Jay of National Alliance for Grieving Children, and Brad Speaks from Speaks Family Legacy Chapel)
- Why children should be taught about funerals and allowed to participate
- Why we need to teach parents how to include their children in funerals and support them in the process
- Ways to involve children in funerals:
- Create a music playlist for the funeral
- Help make a poster board of photos of the loved one
- Draw pictures of the loved one
- Tell a story or sing a song for the funeral
- Be a pallbearer or escort
- Place flowers on the casket or urn or in the grave
Links from this episode:
There will be a new episode every Monday! If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes.
Until next week …