Learn why this is the perfect month to practice generosity in its many forms.
In this solo episode I challenge you to join me in a month of giving as we explore the benefits of generosity to ourselves and others. Now more than ever we need to be willing to give to one another as we celebrate the coming holidays. Download the handout for this episode below:
This episode includes:
- Health benefits of generosity
- How giving to others creates greater happiness
- Why we need generosity as this year of the pandemic comes to a close
- How our brains are wired for generosity
- Why generosity is contagious
- How generosity stimulates the caregiving part of the brain
- The 4-week “giving” challenge for the month of December
When Giving is All We Have by Alberto Rios One river gives Its journey to the next. We give because someone gave to us. We give because nobody gave to us. We give because giving has changed us. We give because giving could have changed us. We have been better for it, We have been wounded by it— Giving has many faces: It is loud and quiet, Big, though small, diamond in wood-nails. Its story is old, the plot worn and the pages too, But we read this book, anyway, over and again: Giving is, first and every time, hand to hand, Mine to yours, yours to mine. You gave me blue and I gave you yellow. Together we are simple green. You gave me What you did not have, and I gave you What I had to give—together, we made Something greater from the difference.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Sign up for the 2021 online reading group A Year of Reading Dangerously at this link
- Support you local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Greater Good Science Center White Paper on Generosity
- David Roland interview – Episode 272
- Leave Your Light On – Episode 266
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu, especially my newest supporter John Kuntz! Your contributions make all the difference!