Learn about new research using psychedelic medications to help patients at the end of life with depression and anxiety.
My guest Dr. Ira Byock is a leading palliative care physician, author and public advocate for improving care through the end of life. In this discussion he shares important information about psychedelic medications and the benefits they offer to patients at the end of life. There is current research available that shows the value of these medications especially for patients with depression, anxiety and loss of meaning who experience a profound reframing of life. Learn more about Dr. Byock’s work at his website:
This episode includes:
- How Dr. Byock got interested in studying psychedelic medications for palliative and hospice patients
- What new research is revealing about the benefits of psychedelics for various medical conditions
- How psychedelics have been shown to be helpful with depression, anxiety and demoralization syndrome
- The dangers of recreational use of psychedelics vs. controlled therapeutic use
- What a “psychedelic assisted therapeutic experience” consists of
- How a psychedelic experience can rewrite the brain’s “default mode network”
- The need for further research on these medications
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Get my new book The Journey from Ego to Soul: How to Transform Your Life When Everything Falls Apart
- Listen to Love Over Fear stories here
- November 9th Vigil recording here
- Taking Psychedelics Seriously – Article
- Book: How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan
- California Institute of Integral Studies
- Watch the interview on YouTube: https://youtu.be/fkaBt45dFr0
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!