Learn how to use challenges as a tool for growth and find grace in the midst of pain.
In Part 7 of the Mortal Wisdom Series I’ll discuss how our greatest tragedies can ultimately lead us to growth through the gift of grace. As I prepare for the 30th anniversary of my father’s suicide death this week I share my thoughts on my own journey through grief. These are the lessons we can learn from our mortality and how to thrive in life while knowing that death awaits. Listen to Parts 1-6 first if you haven’t heard them yet!
This episode includes:
- How my father’s suicide changed the trajectory of my life
- Why the remedy for pain is found “inside the pain” as Rumi wrote
- There is no “other side” of the tunnel of grief
- How our grief journey can only be viewed clearly in retrospect
- How to “burn our pain as fuel”
- The meaning of grace and how it arrives as a mystery
- How sorrow prepares us for joy
I do not at all understand the mystery of grace–only that it meets us where we are, but does not leave us where it found us. – Anne Lamott
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Mortal Wisdom Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, and Part 6
- Suicide: Surviving the Aftermath
- What Really Matters: 7 Lessons for Living from the Stories of the Dying
- Beautiful Dying Expo – Nov. 2-3, 2019 – San Diego CA
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the new EOLU mug (only Patrons can purchase it)!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on Patreon.com/eolu, especially my new Patrons, Robyn Mott and Amy Wallace; and thank you to Christina Ensminger for increasing your monthly pledge!