Learn how administrators and managers can better support their staff in providing heart-based care to hospice patients.
My guest Brenda Clarkson, with over 40 years of nursing experience in hospice, truly understands the mystery that surrounds the dying process and how best to support patients and hospice staff as they journey together through the end-of-life experience. She shares her model for returning to the roots of excellent hospice care while navigating today’s regulatory challenges as outlined in her book “The Heart of Hospice: Core Competencies for Reclaiming the Mystery.” Contact Brenda at:
Registration is now open for the 8-week online course Spiritual Journeys in Chronic Illness. Rev. Dr. Terri Daniel and I will be co-teaching the class, which is offered by the Applied Wisdom Institute in partnership with the University of Redlands. CEU’s will be available! Learn more here.
Mark your calendars now for the event of the year!!! Announcing the Beautiful Dying Expo, which will be held in San Diego CA on November 2-3, 2019. I’ll be there as a facilitator for the event and registration is open now for workshop presenters, vendors, sponsors, authors, filmmakers. Go to www.beautifuldyingexpo.com to learn more. Contact Michele Little at email@example.com if you are interested in being a presenter.
This interview includes:
- Why honoring “the mystery” of dying and death is important
- How the modern hospice movement has strayed from from the original heart of patient care
- A new “mystery model” of hospice care that overcomes some of the challenges faced by hospices today
- Core competencies of the hospice staff
- The 4 phases of growth experienced by hospice workers
- How to decrease the turnover rate of hospice workers
- Tools for administrators and managers to choose the best staff for hospice work and support them emotionally and spiritually
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Spiritual Journeys in Chronic Illness Course
- Beautiful Dying Expo – Nov. 2-3, 2019 – San Diego CA
- The Heart of Hospice by Brenda Clarkson RN
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the new EOLU mug (only Patrons can purchase it)!