The story of my long journey of healing after my father’s suicide death – told in a series of 8 episodes.
Part 6: The Purple Heart
If you are currently experiencing a crisis or feeling hopeless please know that you are not alone. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline for free and confidential support available 24/7 for people in distress:
or Text HELLO to 741-741.
This episode consists of:
- How hospice work help me get “unstuck” on my grief journey
- How I uncovered my anger at my Dad and my need to forgive him for taking his life
- The “secret” my Aunt Lena told me about Dad and World War II
- What I learned from psychiatrist Dr. Jeff Black who treats war veterans for trauma and “soul loss”
- The RAIN formula from Jack Kornfeld for healing trauma:
- Recognize the effect the trauma has had on your life
- Acknowledge and accept the pain you are experiencing
- Investigate the patterns
- Non-attachment to the “story” of the trauma
- Poem: “Griefwork”
- A message of hope for those grieving a suicide and for anyone who might be considering suicide at this time:
Please don’t give up. There is light in the darkness, there is love for you, there is grace. I have survived and I am here to spread hope.
Please call 1-800-273-8255 for help if you are thinking about suicide.
Subscribe to this podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/end-of-life-university/id1033282990