Learn how to increase your own capacity for compassion toward yourself and others and make the world a better place in the process.
In this episode I share some of the research and articles I’ve been reading in the book Compassion: Bridging Practice and Science, edited by Tania Singer and Matthias Bolz. It seems to be that we are in need of greater compassion as a society right now to help us cope with our current adversities and grow stronger in love and kindness in the process. I have some poems and practices to share that hopefully will inspire all of us to higher consciousness. View Tania Singer’s website:
This episode includes:
- Why we need more compassion in our society right now
- 5 reasons why we are “failing” at compassion
- The difference between empathy and compassion according to researchers
- Why overdoing empathy can lead to burnout while practicing compassion can prevent it
- The positive benefits of compassion practices
- How and why to begin practicing self-compassion
- The difference between self-compassion and self-esteem
- Study results on using the Lovingkindness Meditation (Metta) as a regular practice
- Mantras to use for self-compassion and Lovingkindness
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Books by Tania Singer
- Sign up for the 2021 online reading group A Year of Reading Dangerously at this link
- Support your local bookstore by buying my books on Bookshop and Indiebound: 7 Lessons for Living from the Dying and The Journey from Ego to Soul
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu, especially my newest supporters Stefanie Elkins and Claire Murphy Jones! Your contributions make all the difference!