Learn why it is important right now to revisit your own advance directives and those of your loved ones.
In this solo episode I share some resources for surviving and thriving during the coronavirus quarantine. Then I discuss some important issues to consider regarding your own advance directives and those of your loved ones as we face a medical crisis that is unprecedented in our lifetimes. This is a difficult conversation to have but one that is of utmost importance right now. Thanks for tuning in and spending some of your time with me! Take good care of yourselves this week! 💖
This episode includes:
- Tips for surviving quarantine:
- Walk every day
- Connect with nature
- Spend time alone in contemplation or meditation
- Bring beauty into your life (art, music, poetry, literature, film)
- Connect with friends and loved ones
- Be kind to others and yourself
- Journal prompt for this week: Write a story about a time in your life when you feel you were at your best or you acted from your highest self. Describe the event in detail as best you can remember it. Then make a list of the best qualities you exhibited on that day. Reread the story throughout the week and add to you list as you recognize other positive qualities. Or write more stories as you recall them.
- Make sure your elderly loved ones have advance directives (including POLST forms) and make sure you understand their wishes
- If you are a healthcare proxy for a loved one make sure you are prepared to carry out their wishes, particularly if they choose comfort care only
- Think of creative ways to connect with a loved one who may be in isolation – (e.g. an iPad + Skype)
- Be prepared that you may not be able to be at the bedside of a hospitalized loved one with coronavirus
- Rethink your own advance directive regarding mechanical ventilation, since ventilation is part of the treatment for this virus
This is a remarkable time, when washing our hands and staying at home are radical acts of global compassion and service.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Download coloring books
- Virtual museum tours
- Natural Park virtual tours
- Downloadable art
- Seattle Symphony concerts
- Instagram Live:
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!