Learn why workers in the end-of-life field can benefit from basic business skills whether they practice in a volunteer or for-profit model.
My guest Kimberly King Wise is a certified End-of-Life Doula and Home Funeral Guide and also has years of experience as a business manager and virtual assistant. She discusses how business knowledge and skills can help us create viable work in the end-of-life arena that will enable us to help more people and change our communities. We’ll learn how she can help us get our endeavors off the ground and lessen our stress levels as we navigate the business aspect of end-of-life care. Learn more about her work:
This episode includes:
- The challenge of charging money in exchange for sacred work
- The mindset shift from being an employee to being an entrepreneur
- Why creating a death-positive business is especially difficult in our death-phobic society
- The one skill death doulas most need to learn in order to grow their referrals and help more people
- How to work your way out of your paid job gradually rather than making a sudden career change
- The importance of the Know-Like-Trust factor in educating our communities about death-positive work
- Why we need long-term thinking in the death-positive movement rather than short-term
- How “death’s big tent” has plenty of room for every model of care and service in our field so we need to accept and encourage one another
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Check out my new book The Journey from Ego to Soul here
- Ep 215 : Death’s Big Tent
- Kimberly’s Death Positive Business website
- Kickstart Your Death-Positive Business Course
- Kimberly’s email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe to this podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Stitcher Radio
- Check out the Series I’ve recorded in the past here
- Join the team at Patreon.com/eolu and get access to the EOLU mug: “Mind if we talk about death?” (only Patrons can purchase it). PLUS get our new bonuses: the monthly EOL News Update, movie reviews from 2 Doctors and a Movie, and automatic access to A Year of Reading Dangerously!
If you enjoy this content please share it with others and consider leaving a review on iTunes! Thanks again to all supporters on my page at Patreon.com/eolu! Your contributions make all the difference!